If you have youngsters in the family that want to ride, it may be hard to shell out a bunch of money for something they will outgrow in a couple years. Yamaha has been building the PW 50 for over 30 years! This means there are many used ones to choose from and parts are cheap. Sometimes it can be hard to come across a 50cc of any kind that hasn’t been a little beat up. Let’s face it, if it’s nice, it probably wasn’t ridden very much and it will be reflected in the price. I happend across this 2002 Yamaha PW 50 for a good deal, and thought it would be a fun project.
This little bike took a little additional work due to a bent frame, but here is a breakdown of additional parts added.
*This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Products for 2002 Yamaha PW 50:
*Always verify parts are for the correct make and model. Some of these links or parts may have changed or vary slightly from the time I purchased them, or may not be bike specific.
- Plastic kit (tank, seat, front and rear fenders)
- Graphics – I made my own but there are many available online
- Rubber gloves
- Power washer – comes in handy when washing a motorbike
- Paint – High Heat for exhaust
- Air Filter
- Transmission Oil
- Oil mat – I recommend one of these to avoid spills
- New cylinder and piston/rings
- Spark plug
- Chain lube
- Cable luber
- Cable lube (WD-40)
- Foot Pegs
Check out the process to completely overhaul this 2002 Yamaha PW 50.
As you can see, these plastics have seen better days. Some guys dog thought the plastic and foot pegs would be a good chew toy.
The frame was bent on this little bike right below the tank. Some poor little guy had a mishap with a trailer and the trailer won. I had to tear the bike completely down to fix the frame.
The carb on this bike also needed an overhaul.
First steps to tearing apart a bike: take off seat, plastics, and tank. Once you get into removing the engine, don’t forget to take pictures so you remember how to put it all back together again.
Here is the bike torn down to the frame. Once I got to this point, I could then form the frame back to it’s original position.
More pieces. Not too much to these little bikes. Pretty cool design actually. Time for some cleaning!
Time to Reassemble
I actually removed the oil pump drive gear also. This then required pre-mix gas to be ran, rather than using the stock oil tank and oil mixture system.
Now it’s looking better. Here is the bike with the new plastics, seat and cylinder installed. Too plain, but a good canvas for some new graphics!
Finally the end result. I really love seeing projects come together. Here it is with the graphics and exhaust installed.
Tell me that isn’t an awesome result! Now it’s ready to rip for many more years and get beat up again!
My little boy was a good test subject for the new build and lets just say, it didn’t disappoint!
Hope you enjoyed the transformation. If you have any questions on the process, let me know. I would love to hear what you think.